This exotic panel was inspired by a 16th century Turkish enamelled wall-tile.
Combining stumpwork, goldwork and surface embroidery techniques, this ogival tile is worked on an ivory silk background with silks, gold metallic threads, beads and tiny spangles.
The design features red tulips with detached petals, blue carnations and beaded prunus blossoms, and is enclosed by an ornate border worked in gold metallic threads and beads.
It may be framed or made into a box top or book cover.
This embroidery kit contains all materials required to work this project:
- Ivory silk dupion
- tracing paper
- red cotton fabric
- wire (33 gauge red coloured)
- Beads (includes 3 whole packs) and 2 mm spangles (2% gold)
- Soie d'Alger silks (3 whole skeins)
- gold metallic threads
- assorted silk
- polyester and nylon threads.
You will need the following equipment:
- 10" embroidery hoop
- slate frame or stretcher bars
- 4" embroidery hoop
- Crewel/Embroidery size 10
- Sharps or Straw/Milliners size 9
- Sharps size 12
- Tapestry size 28
- Sharp Yarn Darners sizes 14 - 18
Skill Level: Medium