Worked on ivory satin, this design features the stages of the life cycle of the Swallowtail Butterfly, Papilio machaon – beaded eggs, caterpillars in various stages of development, a chrysalis worked in padded gold snakeskin, and a butterfly with raised detached wings – nestled within the stems, buds and flowers of the preferred host plant, Milk Parsley.
This embroidery kit contains all materials required to work this project:
- Ivory satin, quilter's muslin, tracing paper, gold kid, felt, paper-backed fusible web, beads, wire and a Size 1 Milliners needle.
- Threads – Soie d'Alger Silks, Cifonda Art. Silks, DMC stranded Cottons, DMC Soft Cotton, assorted metallic, rayon, nylon and chenille threads.
You will need the following equipment:
- 11” embroidery hoop, slate frame or stretcher bars
- 5" embroidery hoop
- Crewel/Embroidery sizes 9 and 10
- Straw/Milliners size 9
- Sharps sizes 10 and 12
- Tapestry size 26 or 28
- Chenille size 20
- Sharp Yarn Darners sizes 14 - 18
- Small sharp-pointed embroidery scissors
- Fine blunt-nosed tweezers to shape wire
- Small wire cutters or old scissors